People think focus means saying yes to the thing you’ve got to focus on. But that’s not what it means at all. It means saying no to the hundred other good ideas that there are. You have to pick carefully. I’m actually as proud of the things we haven’t done as the things I have done. Innovation is saying “no” to 1,000 things.
There’s no doubt that Steve Job’s knew what he was talking about. When Steve got back to Apple he removed almost 300 products from Apple’s range of products, just to focus on the 10 that fit his vision.
Not saying no to 10′s or 100′s of good(and bad) ideas, is a very common problem. Information overload is almost like a plague for many Internet marketers. It’s so easy to get distracted.
Personally, I try to always remember Steve’s message when making a decision on where to go next. Pick Carefully as Steve Jobs said!
Staying Focused & Organized is the solution to many problems … a quite boring and not so sexy truth … but crucial!
It does mean the difference between failure and success, I have absolutely no doubt about that.
I’ve managed to leave many of these problems(and related) behind me, to become a more productive & organized human being, well … most often anyway. If you find yourself disorganized with little or no focus, I suggest you do something about it immediately because it will change your life for sure.
Taking a step back is the best thing, sometimes we need distance to whatever it is we’re doing to be able to see clearly again. Have a clearly defined goal.
Education & Learning …
Reading & learning is good, and information is necessary, but in the end we all have to produce something, in one way or another. If we don’t, no money can be made, no monetary transaction can take place because nothing is being sold. Somehow something must be produced and sold.
Information can distract us from getting work done, causing procrastination and even induce another productivity inhibitor the one we all know as perfectionism.
But, information consumed right, from a good and trusted source, with moderation, and when suitable applied to a work of one’s one … it’s often great!
Getting Things Done is All that Matters …
I would like to give a real example of how I work today, compared to before.
The other day I purchased & implemented a WSO, nothing strange with that, I do it all the time.
With my my old mindset, being disorganized and unfocused, I would probably have spent at least the entire day implementing this WSO, for several reasons, some of them here below.
- Procrastinating & being a just a little to lazy.
- Making unbalanced and bad decisions, not valuing my precious time.
- Believing I’ve found the holy grail and never have to adapt or use any other strategy again … Ever!
- Sitting around waiting for results, watching statistics etc …
.. can’t really say my focus was on getting things done.
Fortunately, I’ve stopped behaving this way(to a large enough extent anyway, nobody’s perfect) and if you’re doing it … don’t.
I implemented this WSO in 25 minutes, much faster than I thought I would, but by taking time into consideration, the speed of work is increasing naturally. Instead of trying to implement the perfect campaign, I make compromises where time & money are the 2 most important factors.
Step by Step Actions that I Took
- Made a quick overview read the of the WSO PDF to decide if this was for me or not(… this time it was).
- Added New Project in my Time Recording Sheet
- Added New Project in Bookkeeping Sheet
- Implemented the necessary steps enabling an evaluation of the method.
- Added the exact number of dollars spent on this project to the Bookkeeping Sheet.
- Added the exact number of time spent on this project to the Time Recording Sheet.
- Added a Google Calendar note reminding me to check back on the results.
- Moved on to the next task in my TODO list …
That’s it ….
One of the reasons I was able to implement this WSO fast, was that I could reuse some things I needed from another project, Awesome!
Crucial Decisions Involved that Saves Hours & Sometimes Days
Deciding if to Implement fast(not always a Yes) :
- Know what steps are involved.
- Estimate time.
- If decision is not to implement, move on quickly.
Project Start Routines that Signal: Here we go, let’s focus:
- Add project to Time Recording Sheet(or whatever is used for time recording).
- Add Project to Bookkeeping Sheet(or whatever is used for bookkeeping).
Implementation(don’t over analyze):
- Get your hands dirty, Just Do It!
- If you outsource the implementation: Write a really good work description and hire some competent people.
- Be very aware of the time & money you’re spending, keep track!
Project End Routines that Signal: Here we stop, let’s focus on the next thing:
- This could of course be phase 1 that’s ending, e.g enough for evaluation.
- I almost always end with setting up a Google Calendar Notice, it’s my way of mentally letting the project go until Google Calendar notifies me to check into it again.
Important: Follow these 4 Invaluable Tips Below!
4 Focus Tips that Will Instantly Improve your Online Business
- Have good routines for the boring tasks, like time recording and bookkeeping. This way these boring, but important tasks doesn’t distract you when working on the money making activities.
- Remove unnecessary & unprofitable components that disturb, cost money and possibly ruin your business (Don’t be to sentimental)
- Have a clearly defined goal, know what the goal is & remember this goal in every move you make.
- Have a well defined business model. Don’t step outside of it to much or to often
I almost forgot … the WSO I implemented does actually produce results!